Match Report

Match Report - 19 Jan 2008, Ammanford AFC Firsts lost to Troedyrhiw

Troedyrhiw 4 Ammanford 3 Macwhirter Welsh League Division Two In one of only two Welsh League matches played over the weekend, Troedyrhiw's pitch, although heavy was 100% playable and in no way contributed to Ammanford's loss.

The home team created a chance in the opening two minutes but it was Ammanford who scored first with a spectacular goal created when Liam Preece chased fully 40 yards to win a ball that was running out for a corner.

Preece's first time cross was turned into a goal by Paul Jones' first time volley which gave the keeper no chance from 18 yards.

An incident in the 12th minute saw Scott Evans lucky to escape serious injury following a horrible tackle that appeared a certain red card.

For some reason the official felt otherwise and only should yellow.

With play even, Troedyrhiw equalised in 25 minutes and Ammanford went 2-1 down after 30.

Both goals were conceeded through inept defending.

It looked as if Ammanford had drawn level on 32 minutes but the linesman flagged offside when the ball seemed to have come off a defender's head to leave Dean Jenkins in an onside position.

Troedyrhiw took full advantage of some loose marking again and scored a well taken goal.

Ammanford pulled a goal back before half time when a Lee Stone free kick saw Paul Jones score his second via a deflection.

Ammanford suffered further injustice in the 50th minute when play was left to catch up with three Troedyrhiw players in an offside position.

The trio were left to take part in a move that gave Troedyrhiw a corner that was desperately cleared.

Ammanford felt they had escaped further injustice but the referee awarded a gaol when it was seemed obvious that the ball had not crossed the goal line by at least six inches, but such was the quality of the official on the touch line that the goal was awarded when Ammanford's players and fans were adamant that the ball was definitely not over the line.

Ammanford battled on and hit the cross bar before Jenkins headed in from close range but failed to pull the match round for at least a draw with time running out.

A terrible result for Ammanford but a chance to put things right next Saturday when we are home to Betws, kick off 2pm.

The reserves match against Neath was called off and to date have no fixture next Saturday.

Ammanford manager and coaching staff have called for 100% turn out for training Wednesday

Troedyrhiw 4 - 3 Ammanford AFC Firsts ()

Name Goals Details
1 Richard Walton  
2 Christian Davies  
3 Cerith Williams  
4 Rhodri Jones  
5 Scott Evans  
6 Liam Preece  
7 Lee Stone  
8 Paul 'Ginge' Jones   2
9 Luke Fayres  
10 Dean Jenkins   1
11 James Murray  
12 Nathan McNeill  
13 Rhys Fisher  
14 Shaun Fender