Match Report

Match Report - 24 Nov 2007, Ammanford AFC Firsts beat Llangeinor

AMMANFORD took their unbeaten run to five games after a remarkable fightback saw them turn a three-goal deficit into a well-deserved and hard-fought victory.

The hosts went a goal down as early as the third minute, when the visitors' Dave Lewis made no mistake after he took a pass inside the Ammanford penalty area unmarked.

Minutes later home keeper Richard Walton showed fine reflexes as he managed to tip a snap-shot over the cross bar.

With conditions getting heavier as the match progressed, Lewis scored another simple goal with the goal at his mercy.

Ammanford had a chance to pull a goal back on the 27th minute but Dewi Jenkins was forced to shoot wide under pressure from the keeper.

There was then a serious injury in the 35th minute when the visitors' Craig Phillips sustained a serious broken leg in whaty at first appeared an innocuous incident which left him in agony on the floor.

Ammanford were the quickest to settle down after the incident and when Tex Ward won a header from a corner it took a superb defensive header to keep it out.

Ammanford were now getting more and more into the game.

Luke Fayres saw the keeper off his line and attempted a 35-yard lob that sailed just inches wide of the far post with the Llangeinor keeper stranded Minutes later Walton pulled off two great saves, the first a block with his legs.

Disaster struck again for Ammanford just five minutes into the second half.

Initially, the danger seemed to have been cleared when Walton again pulled off a superb save.

Disaster struck however when, from the corner, a tame shot was deflected just a yard out from goal by a Ammanford defender for an own goal to give the visitors what seemed at the time an unassailable lead.

But as the result showed Ammanford had other ideas.

The home side pulled a goal back in the 50th minute with a Liam Preece penalty, although they had a lucky escape in the 62nd minute when a long range shot hit the Ammanford upright with Waltobn well beaten.

Ammanford replied with an effort striking the woodwork themselves as a Liam Preece free kick hit the cross bar.

Two minutes later Ammanford won a second penalty when Jenkins was blatantly tripped inside the box.

Town now had a great chance to get something out of the match and Dean Jenkins got a great touch to equalise and earn the home side a valuable point.

Amazingly, with just a minute to go and both sides looking set to share the spoils, Nathan McNeil scored to secure the three points.

Ammanford deserved both the points and the glory thanks to an almighty second half effort and what must have been an inspirational half-time team talk..

Victory took Ammanford on a five match unbeaten run and their third consecutive win.

The reserves did not have a game but are home to Morriston Town on Saturday. Kick off a 2pm and the firsts are away to Treharris

Ammanford AFC Firsts 4 - 3 Llangeinor ()

Name Goals Details
1 Richard Walton  
2 Nathan McNeill   1
3 Cerith Williams  
4 Rhodri Jones  
5 Tex Ward  
6 Liam Preece   2
7 John Garland  
8 Lee Stone  
9 Luke Fayres  
10 Dean Jenkins   1
11 Cerison Davies  
12 Paul 'Ginge' Jones  
13 Scott Evans