Match Report

Match Report - 18 Aug 2007, Ammanford AFC Firsts beat Briton Ferry

AMMANFORD continued their impressive start to the season with an outstanding victory over Briton Ferry on Saturday.

In atrocious conditions, the Ammanford pitch stood up to the rain and wind and was passed fit for play despite some problems with the surface which allowed the ball to skim through, but both teams settled down quickly to the challenge.

The first chance of the match came the home side's way when Rhys Fisher won the ball deep in his own half and sent Richard Jones on the attack.

Jones crossed brilliantly to Luke Fayres, but the Ferry keeper pulled off a fine save.

Two minutes later Richard Walton in the Ammanford goal had to pull off an equally good save when Ammanford were caught in position at the back.

In the 35th minute, Luke Fayres turned and sent the ball down into the path of McNeil but the shot was blocked.

Ammanford were beginning to stamp their authority on the match as the half progressed and they had the visitors on the back foot as Lewis and Dean Jenkins caused problems with their pace.

Ferry had a great chance to score on 40 minutes but Walton cleared the danger when the shot went across the goal.

Town survived another defensive lapse just before the interval but some poor finishing and a solid defence kept the score levelled at 0-0 at the half time.

Ammanford started the second half on the attack and were a little unlucky when a Richard Lewis shot was kept out.

The home side eventually scored after a superb move.

Richard Lewis provided a pinpoint cross into the penalty area for Dean Jenkins who made no mistake from close range.

For the next 15 minutes, Ammanford forced the visitors onto the back foot with another effort hitting the upright with the keeper well beaten.

As the match reached the last ten minutes, Ferry threw everything into attack, the result being a great save from keeper Walton.

Ammanford achieved victory without captain Cerison Davies (injured) and the suspended pair Liam Preece and Steffan Hughes who are now eligible for Saturdays match away to Barry Town.

Terry Ward and Lee Stone also carried injuries going into this match but came through ok.

Town will have been delighted with a pleasing opening to the season with two straight wins, but they have hard games coming up with Barry away and West End home, plus other matches which will be equally challenging.

There was a minute silence before the match in memory of the recently deceased Vick Edwards, the ex secretary of Ammanford AFC and also a life member and trustee of the club.

Included in our thoughts also was the sad news of Tony Kinsey who served the Ammanford area and Ammanford AFC in many capacities also a life member.

There was further bad news when the appointed assistant Mr Darryl Howard who was the officiate of the match also had passed away after illness.

The club sends its sympathies to the families of the named.

A supporters bus to Jenna Park to see Barry Town leaves from Betws RFC at 11.45am on Saturday.

Ammanford AFC Firsts 1 - 0 Briton Ferry ()

Name Goals Details
1 Richard Walton  
2 Nathan McNeill  
3 Rhys Fisher  Rhys  Fisher Yellow card
4 Tex Ward  
5 Cerith Williams  
6 Lee Stone  
7 Scott Evans  
8 Paul 'Ginge' Jones  
9 Dean Jenkins  Dean Jenkins Yellow card 1
10 Luke Fayres  Luke  Fayres Yellow card
11 Richard Lewis  Richard  Lewis Yellow card
12 Stuart Dunn